Public Works Department is looking for a dependable hardworking
individual to do manual work in the regular care and cleaning of
City buildings. Commercial custodian experience is preferred.
During emergencies schedules will change due to operational needs.
This position is a part time - 20 hours weekly. The work schedule
is Monday - Friday - 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
The City of Lynchburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about working for the City and the
competitive benefits offered go to:https://www.lynchburgva.gov/recruitment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs regular custodial functions such as sweeping,
vacuuming, stripping, waxing, mopping and buffing floors,
stairwells and elevators;
- Gathers and disposes of refuse from interior and exterior of
assigned buildings; gathers paper for recycling;
- Washes windows, walls, woodwork and bathroom fixtures, using
ladders and/or aerial tower;
- Prepares quantities of cleaning and polishing materials
appropriate for tasks from bulk containers according to
- Cleans and disinfects urinals, toilets and lavatories; refills
soap, towel and tissue dispensers;
- Spot cleans carpet and upholstered furniture;
- Dusts office furniture, partitions, high and low ledges and
moldings, and venetian blinds;
- Maintains inventory of cleaning supplies, materials and
- Reports repairs beyond capabilities of custodial workers to
- Performs routine security to include locking and unlocking
doors and deactivating alarm system of assigned building, and
reports unusual observations to supervisors;
- Operates a variety of specialized custodial equipment, such as
floor buffers, carpet extractors, wet/dry vacuums. etc.;
- Loads and unloads cleaning and polishing equipment and
materials to be transported by truck or van;
- Responds to special requests from user agencies;
- Responds to emergencies such as snow, flood, wind storms,
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the
Other duties provide direct or indirect service to the citizens
may be assigned.
When unusual situations occur and/or the City Manager declares a
State of Emergency, all employees may be required to accept special
assignments and perform as needed to ensure appropriate service
None Minimum Education and Experience Required
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
10th Grade and some building cleaning experience; or any
equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short
correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out
detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to
deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in
Requires common courtesy and basic communications skills to work
within a team environment. Communications involve routine factual
matters and exchange of information.