Executive Medical Director Primary Care
Company: Centra Medical Group
Posted on: February 8, 2020
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Centra Medical
Group (CMG) President, the Executive Medical Director is the lead
clinician and oversees the direction of patient care for the
Primary Care Service Line. This includes ambulatory care throughout
CMG primary care service area of Southside, Bedford, Amherst,
Gretna, Lynchburg, and Danville. Currently includes supervising 4
Medical Directors of the 6 Medical Centers listed above with regard
to clinical and regional medical leadership, as well as indirectly
influencing primary care providers in CMG. This role will lead the
Primary Care Council and interact with the medical director of our
Clinically Integrated Network and/or the President of the Piedmont
Community Health Plan (the health plan sponsored by Centra Health
System). This position also has oversight for provider management
through the medical director for Palliative Care, Inpatient
Rehabilitation, Hospice, PACE, Pain Management, Occupational
Health, and Skilled Nursing Facilities. This position provides
leadership, vision, and direction to medical service lines as well
as serves as a part time clinician to provide direct patient care
services. The Executive Medical Director shares in the
administrative functions that directly impact medical services and
collaborates with the operations management team in overall
strategic planning and finance. Position is roughly 70%
administrative, and 30% clinical. Providing clinical care in a
primary or specialty area of primary care. Essential Duties:
- Participates as a key member of Centra Medical Groups (CMG)
leadership team to develop and maintain a strategic plan for the
controlled growth, expansion, and/or development of programs and
sites; solves existing and anticipated organization problems; and
formulates and/or revises policies that will enhance the
achievement of CMGs goals.
- Integrates clinical and non-clinical aspects of CMGs operations
and services with the Dyad partner. Helps develop new systems of
primary care for value and outcome based primary care
- Supervises Medical Doctors and Advanced Practice Providers;
sets the direction for areas of responsibility to align with
overall CMG goals and practice goals; directs all providers in the
practice of quality care according to standards and benchmarks set
by the organization, licensing boards, and other governing
- Manages administrative responsibilities such as clinical
budget/finance management, and personnel management for provider
staff. Uses solutions-oriented approach and collaborates with HR
and other stakeholders to solve personnel issues, including
performance failures and violation of standards of care or policy.
Performs due diligence in matters related to clinical practice in
full compliance of the medical licensing board and other regulatory
- Establishes and maintains systems of accountability for all
providers in the Primary Care Service Line and other services noted
above including Palliative Care, Inpatient Rehabilitation, Hospice,
Pain Management, PACE, Occupational Health, and Skilled Nursing
Services to include productivity benchmarks, performance measures
and controls for clinical quality assurance, patient satisfaction,
and provider engagement. Documents protocols. Performs hands-on
training of new and developing providers and practices based on
changes in regulatory or best practices.
- Partners with CMG Leadership and Provider Services to recruit
qualified providers, including interviewing and recommendation for
hire. Monitors and assists with the new-hire orientation process to
ensure consistency in training among clinical providers.
- Ensures medical services and operations are in compliance with
all applicable regulatory and licensing agencies. Assesses all
matters of clinical compliance and provides recommendations for and
implements corrective action and quality improvement.
- Establishes and maintains working and collaborative
relationships in the health provider community on behalf of and in
accordance with formal understandings of CMG. Develops
relationships with hospitals and providers for referrals and for
provision of patient care, seeks out available medical resources,
and secures medical access for patients.
- Represents CMG to consultative and advisory bodies, to
collaborating entities/agencies, and at specific institutions, as
- Works closely with the CMG President to provide direction
regarding all clinical issues related to value based and population
heath primary care. These include but are not limited to innovation
related to collaborating with specialists and integrating primary
care with behavioral health and other specialties. Integrate urgent
care and the family medicine residency into a unified primary care
- Acts as a physician to provide patient services in clinical
area of expertise.
- Other duties as assigned. Required Qualifications:
- Completion of medical degree and residency training in a
primary care or related specialty from an American Medical
Association (AMA) approved program or other schools with
credentials approved by the Medical Staff and Board of Centra.
- MD/DO with certification by an American Board of Medical
Specialties (ABMS) board in physician's primary specialty.
- At least two years of experience in a progressively responsible
administrator or leadership-related position within healthcare.
- Two to three years experience with governance and management in
an established medical group.
- Two to three years experience with an integrated electronic
medical record and its benefits for primary care.
- Two to three years experience with a patient centered medical
home or similar care delivery model.
- Advanced degree as a Master of Medical Management, Business
Administration, or other similar degree preferred. Compensation &
- Compensation range: $350k $425k
- Sign on bonus: $25k amortized over 3 years
- Relocation Allowance: $10k
- Educational Loan Assistance: Up to $100k over 5 years
- Retirement Saving Plan (Company contribution up to 4% of
- Matching 403(b) (100% match up to 3%)
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term & short-term disability insurance
- Life insurance (1x salary, buy-up option up to 4x salary)
- Long-term care insurance available for purchase
- Flexible spending accounts (health care & dependent care)
- Malpractice Insurance: coverage through Centra's program
- $7,500 Yearly CME Allowance About Lynchburg, VA: Lynchburg,
Virginia is a friendly and vibrant city in central Virginia,
boasting excellent schools and a bevy of entertainment and cultural
options. Blessed with 4 distinct seasons, Lynchburg offers seasonal
activities ranging from snow skiing to water skiing, from gardening
to hiking. With a long and proud history, Lynchburg is a place that
offers its own distinct culture, melded seamlessly with the modern
world. it is a lovely place to work and raise a family. Position
Summary:Under the direction of the Centra Medical Group (CMG)
President, the Executive ...
Keywords: Centra Medical Group, Lynchburg , Executive Medical Director Primary Care, Executive , Lynchburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!