RD Can-Tooling Engineer
Company: Belvac Production Machinery Inc.
Posted on: January 10, 2019
Belvac is the world leader in the design and production of continuous motion rotary machinery. We provide beverage canmakers with high-speed trimming, necking, base reprofiling and reforming, shaping, bottom rim coating, flanging and inspection technology. Over the years, we have been responsible for numerous advances in canmaking technology. This technology has enabled our customers to steadily increase line speeds and improve quality and productivity, while significantly reducing materials costs. Belvac was founded in 1962 in Lynchburg Virginia. Philosophies of quality, pride, craftsmanship, and work ethic set extremely high standards and quickly drove Belvac to become the world leader in its industry revolutionizing many manufacturing processes. For over forty years Belvac has turned innovative ideas into world class machinery. Serving both the Can Making and Plastics industry.sts.
This position has responsibility to provide engineering assistance for the complete design and development of containers (i.e. aluminum cans, bottles, shaped and aerosol cans), their corresponding metal-forming tooling and support R&D activities. Experience in can making industry, especially the D&I process for aluminum 2 piece cans or related fields, research, product development, physical testing, test data analysis, detailed design and analysis, bill of material creation and management, engineering change orders initiation and completion, creation and distribution of technical report, creation and issuance of detailed engineering drawings, is strongly preferred in this role. The selected candidate must be available to travel domestically and internationally.
* Maintain an effective working knowledge and awareness Belvac s current documented Quality Management System as it pertains to their job assignments.
* Work with engineers and technical personnel in the R&D group to develop new 2 piece products and corresponding metal-forming tooling for Cupper, Bodymaker and Necker.
* Creation of engineering drawings for containers and related metal-forming tooling using Inventor 2015 Professional.
* Value Engineering of designs to achieve cost targets while maintaining/improving function.
* Creation of Bills of Materials, initiation and completion of Engineering Change Orders as necessary to address issues with tooling designs and/or drawings.
* Support Purchasing and Production Control by addressing inquiries related to tooling design related items.
* Support the build and commissioning of new machinery by addressing inquiries from Fabrication/Assembly related to tooling design related items.
* Support the development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures for New Container & Tooling Development and Testing, including the use of statistical tools for analyzing testing results and designing experiments.
* Develop and drive the maintenance of appropriate standard project and product documentation like risk assessments, technical reports and other required engineering documentation.
* Ensure that the R&D lab works to appropriate ANSI standards and maintains documentation in accordance to ISO 9001 requirements.
* Other duties as required and defined by reporting manager.
* Assist R&D department running tooling trials and forming containers into bottles or other product types.
* Assist in the continuous process improvement of Belvac s product line.
* Work on special engineering projects assigned by the Department Manager.
BS or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgy or Technical related field.
Skill and Experience:
* Product and tooling development for the D&I process for aluminum 2 piece cans.
* Metal forming for Fluent in mechanical engineering and design, both problem solving solutions and 3D Solid modeling software (Autodesk Inventor preferred).
* Apply statistical analysis techniques to trial data and develop key observations and conclusions.
* Develops, writes, implements, submits and /or presents various technical reports in support to new product/tooling development, process improvement or productivity initiatives.
* Work well under demanding timelines and pressure situations to meet customer requirements.
* At least one year of experience in the application of advanced numerical and simulation methods and tools (i.e. FEA) to apply to container design and metal-forming tooling design.
* Familiar with shop fabrication methods and techniques, and understanding of OSHA safety standards.
* Working knowledge of industry design drafting standards such as ANSI Y14.5 (1994 or later).
* Ability to manage multiple projects and establish priorities.
* Good hands on skills.
* Expert knowledge on MS Office Suite computer skills.
* Solid communication skills, both written and verbal.
* Experience in the use of Quality and Engineering Tools like FMEA, Root Cause Analysis and Statistical Process Control, among others.
* Familiar with operating common machine shop tools such as lathe, mill, band saw, etc., experience in CNC machining and programing is a strong plus.
* Ability to develop high quality and concise technical reports.
* Working knowledge of ISO 9001
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, genetic information, or any other factors prohibited by law..
Keywords: Belvac Production Machinery Inc., Lynchburg , RD Can-Tooling Engineer, Engineering , Lynchburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!