Mechanical Engineer - Process and Tools
Company: Delta Star
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Delta Star is the largest, American-owned medium power
transformer manufacturer in the United States and the premier
manufacturer of mobile transformers and power substations in North
America. Full-Time, Salary Position Company Info Delta Star
provides power solutions for utilities across North America. This
includes manufacturing medium-power transformers, mobile
transformers, mobile electrical substations, trailers, and unitized
substations. We offer power transformers for utility applications,
including power and distribution, transmission voltages, system
ties, automatic voltage regulations, and industrial applications.
Delta Star also provides comprehensive engineering, testing,
maintenance services, and parts for any transformer manufacturer
through our Field Service business unit, ensuring our customer's
transformers and mobiles maintain peak performance. PURPOSE Member
of the operation excellence team supporting continuous improvement
of production processes. Working closely with factories
manufacturing teams to specify, develop new and modify existing
equipment and tools. Acts as a liaison between product design
engineering and production teams, supporting new solution
implementation while applying lean manufacturing principles and
focusing on manufacturability. Main Responsibilities
- Principal tooling fixturing designer for mechanical components
or sub-systems used in production processes.
- Translate general ideas for tools, process, and equipment
development, into product requirements with defined performance,
design standards and testing procedures.
- Initiate projects and contribute to defining improvement and
investment scope, parts breakdown, preparation of specifications
and scheduling .
- Exercise judgment within broadly defined guidelines in
recommending and selecting methods and techniques for complex
- Contribute and lead mechanical part development projects
designed for manufacturability.
- Revise existing system or sub-systems to improve cost,
functionality, and reliability.
- Design tooling for machining systems to facilitate cost
- Participate in new part manufacturability.
- Prepare or update manufacturing instructions, visual work
instructions, standard operating procedures.
- Occasionally create training materials and make presentations
to Manufacturing, Engineering, Marketing, Field Service.
- Report to management on progress of projects and advice
regarding part machinability, processing options and cost.
Education and Work Experience
- Mechanical Engineering degree is a plus.
- In lieu of a degree five (5) years of experience in supporting
manufacturing operations with a focus on process improvement.
- Specifying Machine Types and associated Tooling
- Tooling Design experience.
- Fixture Design experience
- Lean Manufacturing formal training will be an asset. Knowledge,
Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English
- Leading and executing improvement projects (scope, budget,
resources, and plan
- High mechanical aptitude and troubleshooting
- Familiarity with DFM, DOE, FMEA, & 6-sigma principles
- Iterative part machining development experience
- Familiar with basic welding concepts Travel Requirements
- Limited travel required (10-20%) to collect data, participate
in project meetings and prepared designs for factories located in
the United States and Canada. Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required to frequently walk; talk or hear; and use
hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is required some of
the time to stand and sit. The employee is required to occasionally
climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; reach with hands
and arms. The employee must some of the time lift and/or move up to
10 pounds. There is no special vision requirement for this job.
Other Duties Please note this job description is not designed to
cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time
with or without notice.
Keywords: Delta Star, Lynchburg , Mechanical Engineer - Process and Tools, Engineering , Lynchburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!